I created this recipe in celebration of my friend, Beth Hermes’, new novel Lightbearers: Awake!
The Launch party was held at FoxTale Book Shoppe. The photo at the party was taken by Ana Ruiz. The characters in the book ate healthful food and muffins and local honey are mentioned, too. Find out why they are important by ordering the book from your local Indie bookstore!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 2 medium eggs (or egg replacement)
- ¾ cup agave nectar or local honey (mentioned in the book)
- 1 cup plain yogurt (or applesauce for vegan)
- ¼ cup Earth Balance® buttery spread
- 1 teaspoon orange extract or orange juice in a pinch
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup chopped cranberries
- 1 teaspoon zest from an organic orange (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flours and baking soda.
- In medium bowl, mix eggs, agave/honey, yogurt or applesauce, Earth Balance®, orange extract and vanilla.
- Pour wet mixture into the dry mixture and stir.
- Fold in cranberries and orange zest carefully.
- Spoon batter into well-greased muffin tins.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.